University of Pittsburgh, Department of Neurology is now accepting applicants for a year 2020-2021 research training fellowship supported by the NIH StrokeNet program (NIHStrokeNet.org). StrokeNet is a research network of 29 regional stroke centers funded by the NIH/NINDS, these centers work with nearby satellite facilities and have teams of researchers representing every medical specialty needed for stroke care. The network addresses three areas of stroke research: prevention, treatment and recovery.
The specific aims of this project include promoting stroke related research and developing future practitioners who are interested in promoting and participating in stroke related research. Goals also include fostering the development of close mentorship ties, protection of research time, pursuit of research training, and generation of preliminary data necessary to apply for additional scientist development training grants. This program is therefore aimed at promising applicants who are seeking a career that includes clinical or translational research in stroke. Unlike longer training programs, this program is focused on identifying a single year that will allow the time and support to compete effectively for longer training opportunities. It is expected that at the end of the fellowship, the trainee will be prepared to submit applications for national, peer-reviewed funding mechanisms and continue their research. The recipient will have the opportunity to work with the NIH StrokeNet to develop a research plan.
This opportunity is open to any fellow interested in stroke care. This is a research focused training opportunity and at least 75% of the recipient’s time will be based in research training, project development and other activities supporting stroke research.
1. For the purpose of this fellowship, research includes specifically designed trials studying prevention, acute care, and rehabilitation in stroke and may include translational research.
2. The applicant should be interested in an academic career with independent research funding. The award is available for members in all disciplines (physicians, advance practice nurses, PharmD, DPT, PhD researchers, etc.) and is geared for fellows but early career individuals will also be considered who are interested in stroke research.
The fellowship will be awarded to one (1) applicant for one (1) post-graduate year. Support for the applicant includes salary and training activities. Supplementation of the stipend with other grants, fellowships, or by the institution is permissible, but fellows may not accept another source of support for more than 25 percent of their salary.
Through University of Pittsburgh and UPMC resources we can provide:
1. Mentorship by an established investigator
2. Career development with specific goals and an identified research project
3. Research training curriculum through the Institute for Clinical Research Education
4. Protected research time by the department of at least 75%
1. Applicants are asked to submit a letter of intent. The letter should include a description of the applicant’s goals for a research career, their qualifications for beginning training in research, a description of their potential project, and a strategy for completing the proposed project.
2. Identification of a potential mentor(s) including the mention of the mentor’s qualifications and area of expertise. A description of how the mentor’s expertise will tie into the project should be included if the mentor’s area of research is dissimilar from the project. Mentors can be located at any institution as along as a clear mentorship plan is outlined.
3. A strategy for transitioning this work to a longer funding opportunity.
4. A letter of support (1 page) from a previous mentor.
5. Current CV including any publications from the last 2 years.
EVALUATION AND SELECTION
Letters of intent will be reviewed and selected by the StrokeNet University of Pittsburgh Training Director.
Please send applications to:
Ashutosh Jadhav, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Neurology and Neurological Surgery
Director, Vascular Neurology Fellowship
Co-Principal Investigator and Director Research Fellowship, NIH Stroke Trials Network
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
Director, Comprehensive Stroke Center
UPMC Stroke Institute
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Please direct questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
STN Fellowship Posting